- Recipe by Katie Lew
(granola with coconut and cocoa)
I named this granola after our nickname for Colorado Collective, but the pairing of coconut and chocolate is always a tasty combination. As with any granola recipe, it is important to check the oats and nuts often while toasting, since they burn very easily. Use gluten-free oats for a vegan, gluten-free treat.
- 5 cups rolled oats
- ⅓ cup each: Chopped pecans, slivered almonds, shaved coconut or coconut chips
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon coconut extract
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. On a large sheet pan, mix together the oats, nuts, salt, cinnamon and cocoa powder until well combined. Leave out the shaved coconut until the end as it burns very easily.
- Toast the oat mixture in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, stirring halfway and checking frequently toward the end to prevent burning. Remove from the oven when the slivered almonds just begin to brown.
- While the oats and nuts toast, in a small pan combine the oils, honey and brown sugar. Warm over low heat, stirring frequently, until the coconut oil is melted and brown sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and add the vanilla and coconut extracts, stirring to combine.
- After removing the toasted oats from the oven, pour the oil and sugar mixture over the top and quickly toss with two wooden spoons to coat the oats thoroughly. Return to the 350º oven and toast for another 10 minutes, stirring halfway through. Add the shaved coconut and toast another 5 to 10 minutes, or until oats are thoroughly browned and coconut just begins to brown on the edges.
- Remove granola from the oven and let cool to room temperature. Break the granola up into smaller pieces and store in an airtight container. Will keep up to one month.